My Favorite Dad Movies

Leave a Comment

My Dad celebrated a birthday this past Thursday and in celebration of him I'm going to share my top nerdy movies that I watched with him growing up. Now my Dad is a movie person. A speak fluently in movie quotes person. I do believe that has worn off on me. Growing up, he let my sister and I watch so many different genres of movies, even if Mom didn't approve. The best example of that I can think of was when I was somewhere between the age of 10 and 12 I had discovered my Dad's collection of Stephen King books. Being the little weirdo that I was, I fell in love with them. From then on all I wanted to do was watch Carrie. My Mom said “No.” My Dad said “Yes.” Of course he lost. So then of course my sister and I had a secret screening of the movie in the basement when it was on TV one day. (Sorry Mom!) Now I didn't watch Carrie my Dad, but there are plenty of movies that I did watch with him. Here is a list of my favorites!

Star Wars ( The original trilogy) As some of you may know, I am still waiting on an Ewok from my Dad. Watching these movies with him opened my eyes to how cool the universe is. I remember that when I was younger the stars and the planets where the most fascinating thing to me. These movies and my Dad combined helped fuel my want for knowledge for what else could reside in this universe. Aliens totally exist and we would try to witness a UFO through our telescope. Thank you for the wonder Dad!

The Fifth Element Keeping with the space theme, we have this amazing SciFi movie starring Bruce Willis. This movie was action packed and filled with laughs. We watched these movies so many times that I could probably quote this entire movie for you. The world may be ending, flying cars, Chris Tucker (who may or may not be in drag), and a blue alien opera singer. What isn't there to love?

The Lion King Not only is my Dad a movie person but he will sit and watch a cartoon with you anytime. He would always quote “Life's not fair, is it?” and ask which movie had that as the first spoken line. Always sneaking in life lessons. “Be Prepared” is his favorite Disney song (and one of my favorites as well). I'm sure he is sneaking another life lesson in there as well.

Blazing Saddles I was never really into westerns and I probably never will be. However, with that being said, I do love Mel Brooks movies and this is probably one of the best in my opinion. My dad will always say Tombstone is the greatest western followed by Blazing Saddles. I didn't see this movie until I was in high school, but the shock value and the comedy that follows makes it one of the funniest, quotable movies I've ever seen.

Pulp Fiction My love for Tarantino movies comes from my Dad. We've already covered the best western movie ever, but according to him Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever. I can't even argue with that logic. Anyone who has ever seen this movie knows that it is also a quotable movie with a story line that is pieced together in a way that will keep you on your toes.

Airplane! I could not finish this list without adding this movie. I'm pretty sure everyone in my family can quote some, if not all, of this movie. I wish comedies were still made like this one. And unfortunately, as this movie and I age, it becomes harder and harder to find someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about when I say things like “I just want to tell you both, good luck. We're all counting on you.” But I know my Dad will always be there to follow up with another quote!

This is my list, and of course there are other movies out there that I grew up watching with my Dad. And there are movies to come that we will share. But I just wanted to say Thank You Dad! I don't know about my siblings but I will always cherish the times we have spent watching movies late into the night together. Thank You for making me into the weirdo that I am today! I love you Dad! Happy Birthday!


Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment